Sunday, November 7, 2010

Getting Better

I started stretching my ankle on Sunday and its better. I want to be doing that everyday until it is good before I try exercising. Meanwhile, yesterday in the NY Marathon, Haile Gebrselassie, widely regarded as the greatest distance runner of all time, pulled out of the race after 16 miles on the Queensboro Bridge suffering from a swollen right knee and then told a shocked news conference he was quitting the sport after 18 years at the top.
“I have never thought about retiring before. But for the first time, now, I think this is the day. Let me stop and do other work; let me do another job. Let me give the youngsters a chance.”

Gebrselassie arrived in New York feeling some tendonitis in his right knee and had an MRI scan on Saturday which revealed a build-up of fluid. The double Olympic 10,000m champion, and favourite to win the 41st New York Marathon, ran with the leaders for 16 miles before pulling up short as the race prepared to passed into Manhattan for the first time.

As his compatriot Gebre Gebremariam went on to win on his Marathon debut in 2:08:14, Gebrselassie headed for the medical tent and a personal decision that will rock the athletics world. 
“Of course, I’m a little bit disappointed, disappointed with myself,” he said. “I knew about this problem when I arrived in New York. I thought that it was not serious, but things happen which I can’t change.

“I don’t want to complain anymore after this, which means it’s better to stop here.

“I did really very hard training to win this race. It didn’t work. Each time I have a problem like this it’s hard, and to complain again and again is bad.

“You know how many times I complain? Before I came here I trained so hard. It’s better to stop here.

“I have no complaints. It’s better not to complain anymore.”


No comments: