Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Changing the Training Approach

I think I am too focused on speed and I have ended up suffering and not getting faster as I desire. Its because I am impatient, I have no base, I am lazy and I am looking for a shortcut. I need to focus on mileage first then speed can come later when I can rake 70Kms per week.
So the first thing is, no more weekly speed/tempo runs. I will do speed only during the last 10 mins of my runs. And all these runs will be on the field, not on tarmac or concrete.
I will bike on Tuesdays and Saturdays. Biking will be for anaerobic/speed purposes.
I will start 50 mins running per day next week. Then one hour the week after that.
I will continue adding mileage in my long runs until the 30Kms mark.
I am buying a garmin (see below). This should help me lots. In more ways than you can imagine.
I will only taste the tarmacs on Sundays.
I ran today for 43 mins. My shins are aching. Damn. Its yesterdays speed run on tarmac.
This is a Garmin Forerunner 310XT.

They say that this baby can do the following:
  • Waterproof to a depth of 50 meters, so you can wear it in the pool or the lake to time your swim
  • Tracks bike and run data and sends it wirelessly to your computer
  • Track your position, distance, pace, heart rate (with bundled monitor), add accessories to measure power data and more
  • 20 hours of battery life
  • One-year limited warranty
Cheers.
A

No comments: