Thursday, March 8, 2012

2012 Training Day 66: 10K with strides - I think I have emerged from the valley

Yesterday I went to the pitch feeling weakish. Sort of nauseous and sort of dizzy. Was I going to vomit on the pitch today? I remembered Ben Moreau's post about Training Hard and Vomiting easy. What I knew is that since Friday is rest day, I cannot piss away Thursday too. Plus, if I vomited or collapsed while training, that would only make my journey colorful and I can one day tell my kids that colorful story about how I struggled against odds, blood, dust, bones, spit, sweat and vomit to be the best runner I could be....
Aaanyways, after changing and doing the other stuff, I went to the pitch. I started by walking coz the garmin delayed to lock on the Satellites. Then I started the watch and decided to make it very easy, like a recovery run. If my legs failed to wake up, I would just make it an easy run and bank it.
My legs pained. My knees felt like they were made of wood that would crack anytime. But I ignored the small snaps and creaks and concentrated on proper form. I knew that my strong quads protected my knees, thanks to the lunges I do almost everyday. I also knew with slow running, my shins and calves could not be busted. So I used slow speed and tried to maintain good form. Plus, Lydiard reminds us repeatedly that even a slow run is useful.
By six Kms, all the pain was gone. I decided to start the strides at the 8th K.
It was great. They were short, between 50m and 70m but I did them and at the end, I felt I could do more. But like an experienced sage who knows that bows that are bent all day no longer shoot arrows with the same force, I warmed down and stretched thoroughly and took it.
I iced my legs at night and I know by tomorrow morning, I should be fine. My PF strain seems to be almost over and I think I have survived it.
Look at the spikes of my paces as I do the strides below. Beautiful. Aint it? Like a comb or a toothbrush.

Friday is review week since my weeks start on Saturday. So my progress so far:

Jan_____wk1 N/A
________wk2 20+18+20 = 58Kms
________wk3 16+16+18+20 = 70Kms ..................(lower ankle pains)
________wk4 20(1:50)+20(1:53)+20(1:50) = 60Kms ...(fighting each Km - legs screaming)
________wk5 20(1:53)+10+10 = 40Kms......(Revert to moderate 21K @ Sato - no more fighting)
Feb_____wk1 21(2:05)+11+10(47:56:52)+6+10 = 58Kms (tight hamstrings)
________wk2 21(2:06)+14+12+7+10 = 64Kms...........(first sub 4 mins 1K!)
________wk3 21(2:01)+15+12+12+12 = 72Kms (Malaba, crazy intervals)
________wk4 21(2:19)+16+14+10+10=71Kms (recovering from intervals)
March___wk1 21(1:57:51)+18+11+11+11+11=83Kms (Kampala)
________wk2 21(1:56:39)+15+10+10 = 56Kms (PF threatens-recovering from 83K week)

Meanwhile, I have been reviewing Ancient Astronaut theory and seeking refutations of the same and I came across this pic of Giorgio A. Tsoukalos which cracked me up pretty good:
Stay active fellas and remember, every day is an opportunity to move forward with your dreams.
A

No comments: